Grand Prix League 2018
Information below is currently provisional being based on that for 2017.
How the Grand Prix League works
The Farnham Runners Grand Prix is an internal competition based on participation in the two leagues that the club competes in.
The aims of the Grand Prix are to encourage friendly competition within the club giving runners of all abilities a chance of doing well in the competition and to encourage runners of all abilities to participate in the league races.
By competing in the Grand Prix, you may qualify for one of the Club London Marathon places.
The two leagues that we compete in are:
- Southern Cross Country League (SXCL)– these are free races to which you can just turn up (in a Farnham Runners vest) and run. They are 4.5 – 5.25 miles in length and are all within about 45 minutes drive away. There are 6 or 7 races per year, each hosted by a participating club. Runners of all abilities (except the very fastest) can run in them and they are great fun.
- Hampshire Road Race League (HRRL) – these races generally require entry in advance and carry an entry fee (although club members get a £2 discount). They are a variety of distances: 5 mile, 10k, 10 mile and half marathon and races are generally within about one hours drive away. There are 12 races per year. Runners of all abilities participate in them, from county level runners at the top end down to social and charity runners at the more relaxed end of the scale.
All races qualify for Grand Prix points in the calender year in which they occur unless specifically indicated in the SXCL and HRRL fixture lists given on the pages above.
Runners of all abilities can do well in the Grand Prix! The keys to success are:
- Run in as many races as you can
- Keep improving and gain some Personal Bests (PBs).
Grand Prix League tables are posted in the club pages.
Qualifying races for 2018
Races in the SXCL and HRRL in the 2018 calendar year.
Note that the autumn and winter race dates are not announced by the respective leagues until later in the year.
Grand Prix rules for 2018
The following rules apply:
- The Grand Prix year goes from 1st January 2018 to 10th December 2018 (to be confirmed, the date of SXCL race in Farnham).
- All SXCL races and all HRRL races are included.
- A runner’s 12 best points results across the races completed are included.
- For each gender, points are allocated as follows: 1st – 8 points, 2nd – 7 points, 3rd- 6 points, 4th- 5 points, 5th- 4 points, all other finishers – 3 points
- A runner can claim 2 bonus points if they have run a Personal Best (PB) in an HRRL race. They just need to email either Farnham Runners or Jane Georghiou within one week to claim their points.
- Prizes for the Grand Prix will be presented at the annual awards dinner. Trophies are given for first five men and ladies in the Grand Prix points table. Also, there will be a prize for the man and lady with the highest number of PBs in the year.
- It is the responsibility of each individual runner to ensure that he or she is fit enough to compete in each race, and that he or she feels confident of finishing.
- If, due to injury or other unforeseen circumstance, a runner does not finish, then it is solely at the discretion of the Team Captain whether one Grand Prix point is awarded. The Team Captain may defer this decision to the Farnham Runners Committee if he or she feels this is appropriate. The individual runner may appeal to the Committee, if he or she feels aggrieved by the Team Captain’s decision. The Committee will investigate the matter thoroughly and their decision will be final.
A 2019 London Marathon Place will be awarded as follows:
- You must have entered, and been rejected, for the London Marathon.
- You must have been a fully paid up member of Farnham Runners in both the club year of the ballot and at least one day of the previous club year (club year currently runs from April 1st to 31st March).
- You must have competed in 12 or more races in the Grand Prix calendar.
However in the event that nobody achieves 12 races within a gender group, then the qualifying number will be dropped to 11, then 10 etc. as necessary. For example if 3 women have completed 12+ races, no men have completed 12+ and only two have completed 11, one women and one man will be drawn from each pot. The final place will be drawn from the female pot (as in this example they have achieved the qualifying threshold whereas no men have).
- You must hand over your London Marathon rejection slip to the Club Secretary by Sunday 9th December 2018. The Marathon draw will take place on Wednesday evening, 12th December 2018 (dates to be confirmed).
If you win a Farnham Runners ballot place, you cannot re-apply for a club place the following year (the committee will re-assess this rule on a year by year basis).
Farnham Runners currently receive 3 marathon places. There will be one draw for all eligible male applicants and one draw for all eligible female applicants. All remaining applicants will be placed together and a third person drawn.
In the event Farnham Runners are awarded four marathon places, then there will be two places drawn from both the male and females ballots.